Curious About Ipswich
« Other Public Destinations
Curious About walks offer a fun way for people of all ages to get outdoors and explore their local towns and cities, whilst discovering intriguing new facts about the history of the place.
- Buy or download one of over 60 easy to follow booklets from our website.
- Explore with a map, directions and clues.
- Discover people, places and events.
- Enjoy being curious - spot things you’ve never noticed before!
- Complete the walk, answering the clues along the way (each one is 1-2 miles)
- Send us an interesting fact learned whilst on the walk, and we’ll send you your Children’s University sticker.
Explore Ipswich town centre with two self-guided heritage walks with a treasure hunt theme. Discover Ipswich's "hidden treasures" whilst having a fun day out with family and friends!
Ipswich is the county town of Suffolk, around 1,400 years old and one of the first towns to be captured by the Vikings. The Mayflower was built there before it sailed to America, many of the sailors were from Suffolk. Tolly Cobbold moved his brewery to Ipswich from Harwich in 1745 because of superior water. The world's first commercially marketed powered lawnmower was built here in 1902 , and Britain's largest baby girl weighed in at 14lb 4oz. Famous people include Cardinal Wolsey, Mervyn King and Ralph Fiennes.